If you’re interested in trying keto, you might have questions about what you can and cannot eat, in order to reap the maximum benefits of this low-carb, high-fat diet. Luckily, we’ve done the legwork for you with this definitive list of things you can eat and should avoid when on the keto diet.
What can you eat on the keto diet?
• Meat: Chicken, pork, steak, ground beef, lamb, bacon, turkey, ham, and sausage.
• Fatty seafood and shellfish: Salmon, snapper, tuna, halibut, cod, trout, catfish, scallops, crab, clams, oysters, lobster, and mussels.
• Most fats and oils: Eggs, butter, coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, lard, avocado oil (and plenty of avocados), and mayonnaise.
• High-fat dairy: Heavy cream, soft and hard cheeses, cream cheese, and sour cream.
• Many vegetables: Cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, asparagus, cucumber, onion, mushroom, spinach, lettuce, and olives.
• Most nuts: Almonds, peanuts, macadamia nuts, pecans, hazelnuts, and walnuts.
• Berries: Blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
• Beverages: Unsweetened coffee, black tea, dry wine, champagne, and liquor.
• All spices and some sweeteners: Enjoy stevia and sucralose occasionally.
What should you avoid on the keto diet?
• Almost all fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, grapes, watermelon, peaches, melon, pineapple, cherries, pears, lemons, limes, grapefruits, plums, mango, and more.
• Most grains: Wheat, rice, rye, oats, corn, quinoa, barley, millet, bulgur, amaranth, buckwheat, and sprouted grains.
• Starches: Bread, bagels, cereal, pasta, rice, corn, oatmeal, crackers, pizza, popcorn, granola, muesli, and anything containing flour.
• Beans and legumes: Black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans, soybeans, peas, chickpeas, lentils.
• Sweeteners and sugar: Cane sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, Splenda, aspartame, saccharin, and corn syrup.
• Sweet desserts: Candy, cakes, buns, pastries, pies, ice cream, cookies, pudding, and custard.
• Some cooking oils: Canola, soybean, grapeseed, peanut, sesame, and sunflower oils.
• Alcohol: Beer, cider, sweet wines, and sweetened alcoholic drinks.
• Bottled condiments: Condiments, tomato sauce, hot sauces, and dressings with added sugar.
• Low-fat dairy: Swap skim milk, cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products for higher-fat versions.
Staying on top of your personal and professional life can be a challenge. At Oxford at Sonterra Apartments in San Antonio, Texas, we hope to make your daily routine a bit easier with tips and tricks that can be applied to every aspect of life.