For a delicious, Southern-style breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner, nothing compares to Shrimp and Grits. A favorite of coastal cities like New Orleans, Louisiana; Charleston, South Carolina; and Mobile, Alabama, Shrimp and Grits has reached national acclaim. Sample this savory dish’s blend of creamy, salty flavors and you’ll see why Southerners love to wake up to a heaping bowl of Shrimp and Grits!
• 4 cups water
• Salt and pepper
• 1 cup stone-ground grits
• 3 tablespoons butter
• 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 6 slices bacon, chopped
• 4 teaspoons lemon juice
• 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
• 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
1. Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.
2. Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well. In grease, add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink.
3. Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions, and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Oxford at Sonterra Apartments in San Antonio, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!